Dentists are professionals who specialize in dentistry. Dentistry is a branch of medicine that involves the study, diagnosis, and examination, prevention, and treatment of diseases, conditions, and disorders of the oral health. Such conditions may include issues dealing with the teeth, gums, jaw bones and the mouth in general. It is important to note that dental health is critical to the overall health and well-being of someone’s body.
Dentists provide oral health services by examining patients teeth and mouths to diagnose and then offer treatment of any problem they may find. A dentist also provides advice on how to take care of one’s teeth and gums and how to choose a diet that will improve one’s oral health.
Duties performed by a dentist
Dentists perform various service to ensure that a person’s oral health is well. Such services include:
• Removal of decay from teeth and the filling of cavities.
• Repairing damaged teeth and removal of teeth
• Examine teeth, gums, jaws to detect underlying issues and offer treatment for the problems that are diagnosed.
• Prescribe medications when needed after procedures.
• Educate and teach their patients on how to clean, brush and floss teeth well. The proper diet to take and any aspect related to dental health and care.
Specialty in dentistry
Most dentists are general dentist or practitioners and can handle a range of dental concerns. However, some are specialist in a particular area. Specialties that are there are:
• Orthodontists – This is dentists who straighten teeth by using devices like braces and retainers to align teeth.
• Pediatric dentist specialize in handling and treating children
• Periodontists specialize in treating gums and the bone that support the teeth
• Endodontist specialize in performing root canals to treat teeth that need such procedures
• Prosthodontists specialize in replacing missing teeth with removable or permeanent fixtures like bridges and crowns or dentures
• Oral pathologists specialize in diagnoses of oral conditions and diseases.
Becoming a dentist
Before enrolling in dental school an individual requires having certain science courses like biology and chemistry. An individual will undergo training to gain knowledge and skill in the field. One has is required to do the general training then they can specialize in a particular area as those mentioned above. The dentist must also be licensed in the state or country they work; licenses vary from one state to another. It is thus important to be aware of what is expected according to the laws of the particular country or state.
There are also some specific qualities and skills that a dentist needs to have. One needs to have the ability to be detailed oriented, for they will be performing delicate procedures. They need to have good communication skills; dentistry involves treating people one should be able to communicate effectively to patients and the dental team. One also needs to have excellent organizational skills to keep and maintain accurate records of clients and finally leadership to manage and lead the dental care team.
The above is just but some general information about dentists. As dentist palm beach gardens says a dentist is an important health practitioner and plays an integral role in the overall well-being and health of a person.